Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A great (but not timely) search engine for scientific papers

From looking at referring web sites, I discovered that something called the e-prints network had a link to my list of papers from their Geoscience category. The site appears to be run by the US Department of Energy.

It's a pretty neat resource -- searching the site searches all the PDFs linked from the site, so you get a full-text search of scientific papers. For example, I did a search for "storm AND (identification OR tracking)" on all the Geosciences papers and got back a pretty nice list of 31 papers, each of which would be worth reading. I wish I'd discovered this site when I was writing a paper on the topic a year ago!

I did notice that even though one of my earlier (2003) papers on the topic is listed, my recent (2009) paper is not. So, they must have stopped indexing the linked eprints. I hope that this is not a sign that the funding for this project has run out.


No comments:

Post a Comment